This delicious baked french toast is what we had for breakfast this morning. It is so yummy with it’s own syrup and it’s always a hit with the family!
Overnight French Toast
12-14 slices French bread – 1″ thick
2 c milk
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 butter, softened
1 1/3 c brown sugar
3 T corn syrup
1 c chopped walnuts (optional)
1. First you’ll need to slice the bread. The slices need to be 1″ thick. I try to be consistent so they all cook evenly.
2. Layer the bread in a greased pan. I needed 13 slices to fill this pan but it depends on the size of your bread.
3. Crack all the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
4. Add milk to eggs and mix.
4. Add cinnamon to the mixture. It calls for 2 tsp but I’m not much for measuring when it comes to cinnamon so I just dumped it in.
5. Then add the vanilla. Again not much for measuring this either but you certainly can.
6. When you mix it well it will look like this.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan. Try to make sure that you pour a little over each slice so it is evenly coated. Then cover it with foil and place it in the fridge overnight.
8. In the morning when you are ready to bake, take the pan out of the fridge and let set for 20-30 minutes. This is according to the recipe but honestly I’ve never done it and it turns out just fine. While you are waiting though you’ll need to make the topping.
9. Place your softened butter (1 1/2 sticks) in a mixing bowl.
10. Add the corn syrup to the butter.
11. Then add the brown sugar.
12. Mix the ingredients well. The mixture will be VERY thick.
13. Spread the thick mixture on top of the slices of bread. Coat it evenly as this is your ‘syrup’. Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
14. When it is done it will look yummy and bubbly. Let it sit for a few minutes for all the yumminess to get thickened and for it too cool some.
15. Dish up and SERVE! Enjoy!
I love this recipe and so does everyone who’s tasted it. It is quick, easy, and delicious!