I made this salad for the daycare family picnic we had last night and it was a big hit! I got the recipe from a cousin of Mike’s. Honestly it is the strangest combination of things and really, who puts popcorn in a salad…but it works! Be sure to read through the entire recipe before starting.
What you need:
16 oz mayo (I’ve used Miracle Whip too)
2 c. shredded cheddar
2 c. chopped celery
1 can water chesnuts, chopped
1 bunch green onions
2 T apple cider
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 lb bacon (cooked and crumbled) OR 2-3 T Bac-o bits
What to do:
1. Mix together mayo and cheese.
2. Chop water chesnuts and add to mixture. I honestly think these smell vile but they don’t ruin the salad:)
3. Chop green onions. I don’t use the whole green part but about half.
4. Add chopped celery to mixture.
5. Add sugar and vinegar to mixture and mix thoroughly. Put in refrigerator over night (or for a few hours at least).
6. When you pull it out it will look like this. Much juicier than when you put it in.
7. Just before serving add an entire bag of pre-popped popcorn. It looks like too much but as the mixture soaks it up it will be fine. Then add bacon or bac-0 bits.
8. Once the poporn all gets soaked up it will look like this. ENJOY!!